Craving chocolate? We can tell. And Fannie May Candy is definitely one of the top chocolate companies that can help you.
In 1920, H. Teller Archibald opened a candy retail store called Fannie May in Chicago, Illinois. Gourmet chocolate was its product focus. Over the next fifteen years, Fannie May expanded to four dozen stores, located in Illinois and a few neighbor states. When the company faced nation-wide food rationing during World War II, it chose to never compromise its recipes by altering ingredients. Instead, Fannie Mays everywhere maintained their original product makeups and simply closed early each day when their candy was sold out. In 1946, Fannie May concocted one of its current best sellers by hand-pouring caramel over nuts that were then covered in the best choclate via a conveyer belt. This treat was called the “Pixie”. It soon became a very popular chocolate to buy.
Fannie May Candy continued to experiment with new candy creations throughout the 1970s and 1980s, and in 1991, the company made its first sugar-free confection. In 1992, the company added an elegant Artisan line by Norman Love to its repertoire. That year, Fannie May also acquired a competitor with the ironically similar name of Fanny Farmer. Further acquisitions took place over the next decade, though the company’s main manufacturing facilities remained in Chicago.
In 2004, Fannie May was purchased by Alpine Confections, and its production was re-located to Green, Ohio. Two years later, Alpine sold Fannie May to 1-800-Flowers.com, an Internet-based gifts retailer. (1-800-Flowers.com had also just acquired Harry London Chocolates, which are now featured as a Fannie May entity.) Today, Fannie May’s yummy chocolate desserts are still manufactured in Green, Ohio under Fannie May Confections Brands, Inc. as one of the chocolate brands of 1-800-Flowers.com.
There are more than 100 different Fannie May candies,
with new creations always in the mix. Employees are required to perform
special handling of products during both storage and display in order
to maintain Fannie May’s high standards as a maker of fine gourmet
chocolate. (What the best chocolate desserts are made from!)
Here are a few of our favorite Fannie May Candy treats at Chocolate Dessert Café:
1. Assorted Milk Chocolates. These are buttercreams, toffees, nougats, and other flavors covered in real dark chocolate. Kosher OU-D!
2. Carmarsh-Dark Chocolate. If you like marshmallows, caramel, and dark chocolate all mixed together, this is for you! Also Kosher OU-D.
3. Milk Pixies. These are those best-sellers we were talking about earlier. Imagine crunchy pecans covered with smooth caramel and milk chocolate. Delicious.
4. Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Made with 100% real chocolate! The strawberries are dipped and drizzled in either milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate.
5. Dark Chocolate Covered Cherries. A Maraschino cherry covered in dark chocolate with a subtle rum-flavored center. (For more information on chocolate and alcohol combinations, check out our Kindle eBook Drunk on Chocolate.)
If you’d like to personalize your order, there’s also
customization line that enables you to pick and choose which Fannie May
chocolates you want to include in your purchase. And there are several
occasion-specific products, too, such as assortment boxes that come with
birthday or “I love you” wrappings.
As always, we could go on and on, but you get the idea. If you prefer to browse these delicious chocolate desserts in person, you can find a Fannie May store near you by entering your zip code into the “store locater” section of the company’s website. There are over 100 Fannie May Candy retail stores in the US, stretched across 6 different states and Canada. However, if you’d rather have these desserts delivered to you or someone else as a gift, head on over to their website via one of the links above and see what kind of treats are waiting for you. You won’t be sorry!